Zoë François's Chocolate Devil's Food Cake
- 2 1/3 cups / 280g all-purpose flour
- 2 cups / 400g granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup / 50g Dutch processed cocoa powder (sifted if lumpy)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups / 300ml hot strong coffee
- 2 tbsp rum or brandy
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup / 240ml buttermilk
- 1/2 cup / 120ml mild-flavored oil (such as vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Chocolate Frosting or Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate shavings for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C. Generously grease a 9 by 4-inch / 23 by 10cm Pullman pan (or two 8-inch / 20cm round cake pans), then line it with greased parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. In a small bowl, stir together the coffee and rum.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla until well combined. Add the egg mixture and half the coffee-rum to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until smooth. Slowly add the remaining coffee-rum and whisk until totally blended and smooth. The batter will be quite thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Gently tap the pan on the counter several times to release excess air bubbles.
- Bake until a tester comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes (30 minutes for 8-inch rounds). Let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan and inverting onto a serving plate.
- Using a metal decorating spatula, cover the cake with an even layer of the frosting and top with chocolate shavings. Serve at room temperature.
BAKER’S NOTES: If you aren’t a fan of coffee and rum, substitute with a flat cola or stout beer. To make as 24 cupcakes, fill the well of a cupcake pan two thirds full of batter and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
Reprinted from Zoe Bakes Cakes.
Copyright © 2021 by Zoë François.
Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House