Strawberry Lemon Hand Pie
- 2 Cups Frozen Strawberries Thawed
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Cold Unsalted Butter Cubed
- 2 Tbsp Whole Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tbsp Whole Milk
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar Sifted
- Zest of 1 Small Lemon
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter Room temperature
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch. Cook over medium, crushing occasionally with a wooden spoon to break down the fruit, until it comes to a slow boil. Set aside and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Scatter the butter cubes over the flour. Using either a pastry blender or clean fingers, cut the butter into the flour until it is thoroughly coated, and the biggest pieces are the size of small peas. In the center of the flour mixture, make a “well”, add the milk and egg to the center of the well. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture into the milk mixture. Knead until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into a small rectangle and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. To assemble: Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it into a rectangle about 12” by 16”. Using a pizza roller, trim the dough into 3” x 4” pieces.
4. Beat the egg and milk and brush it over the edges of 6 pieces of dough, this will be the bottom piece. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling into the center of the 6-bottom dough. Top each bottom piece with a sheet of cut dough, Use clean fingertips to press firmly around each pocket of filling, sealing the dough on all sides. Press the tines of a fork all around the edge of each hand pie.
5. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Gently place each hand pie on the baking sheet, about 3 inches apart. Chill the hand pies for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Remove pies from the refrigerator and prick the top of each pie 4 times with a fork, to allow the steam to escape.
8. Bake the pies in the preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes, until they turn light golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for 30 minutes.
9. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and room temperature butter. Spread the glaze over the tops of the cooled hand pies and serve.
Storage: Store leftovers, sealed at room temperature, for up to 2 days.