Ronnie Woo Fugly Delicious Crispy Cheese Breakfast Tacos
Believe it or not, there are days when I crave a taco without the tortilla. The thing is that a taco isn’t a taco without a shell, so I still need something to wrap everything up! Since I just happen to be that person who loves cheese so much that I’ll pile it onto a plate and microwave it just so I can satisfy my craving for warm melty cheese, it only makes sense that I created a taco “shell” entirely out of this magical dairy product. My mission is to make a carb-less taco, but what I ended up with was something more satisfying and fun to eat than I could’ve ever imagined. Since the cheese and the eggs are cooked at the same time, the edges of the slowly melting cheese crisp up while the egg cooks to runny yolk perfection. Right before shoving this beauty inside mouth, I like to drizzle my Scallion & Basil Chimichurri sauce all over it because it has just the right amount of acidity to cut the fattiness of the cheese and bacon. Now, depending on who you ask, it’s either fugly delicious or beautiful delicious, but either way you will think it’s just freaking delicious.
Fugly Delicious Crispy Cheese Breakfast Tacos
- 2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese Mild or sharp
- 4 Large Eggs
- Chili Powder
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Medium Avocado Diced
- 4 Slices Bacon Cooked to your preference, roughly chopped.
- Sour Cream For serving
- Scallion and Basil Chimichurri For serving
- Hot Sauce For serving
1. In a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat, take ½ cup of shredded Cheddar and make a 5 inch wide nest, repeating with the rest of the cheese and fitting as many as you can onto the hot surface (you may have to make these in batches).
2. Crack an egg into the middle of each “cheese nest” and season with chili powder and black pepper to taste.
3. Cook until the cheese is browned on the edges and the whites of the eggs are set (but the yolks are still runny), for 6 to 7 minutes.