Pilar Valdes' Buttery Bloody Popcorn
5 minsCook Time
5 minsTotal Time
- ¼ cup White Popcorn Kernels
- 1 tbsp neutral Oil (like Avocado or Canola)
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne (or your favorite Chili Powder)
- 25 drops natural Red Food Coloring
- 1-2 drops natural Blue Food Coloring
- In a small bowl, melt the butter. Add salt and cayenne and stir. Add 1 drop of blue coloring and 20 drops (about ¼ teaspoon) of red food coloring. Mix and check color. Add more red coloring until you reach your desired bloody color. Keep warm.
- In a medium pot, add the oil and set over medium-high heat. Add the popcorn and cover with a tight fitting lid. As soon as the popcorn starts popping, shake the pot occasionally until there are 3 seconds between pops. Remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl*, drizzle 3 tablespoons of the bloody butter mixture around the sides of the bowl. Add the popcorn and toss until coated, like you would a salad with dressing. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle the remaining butter mixture on top. Serve.
*Note that the color will stain, so plan accordingly!