Mary McCartney's Chocolate Very Orangey Cookies
- ½ cup demerara sugar or light brown sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- ½ cup refined coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tso baking powder
- Zest and juice 1 orange (2 tablespoons juice)
- 3.1 oz (90 grams) dark chocolate bar, broken into one-piece squares (2 squares per cookie)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the demerara sugar, coconut sugar, coconut oil and vanilla with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour, baking powder, orange zest and juice.
- Spoon approximately 1-tablespoon-size balls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Gently flatten the balls using a metal tablespoon, then place two squares of chocolate in the center of each ball. Bake until the edges start to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the tray to a cooling rack. After 1 minute take the cookies off the baking sheet and transfer to the rack.
These cookies are delicious when turned into a cookie sandwich with a scoop of vegan vanilla bean ice cream in-between.
These are a firm favorite. Instead of mixing the chocolate chips into the cookie dough, with these cookies we push two squares into each spoonful of dough once it is on the baking sheet, just before it goes into the oven. That way everyone gets equal amounts of chocolate! Bake them and just watch eyes light up as the flavor hits the taste buds. Simple pleasures. Watch Mary McCartney Serves it Up now on discovery+.