Justin Sutherland's Mac n' Cheese with Hot Cheese Puffs
10 minsPrep Time
25 minsCook Time
35 minsTotal Time
- 4 cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 8 T Unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 Cups Sour Cream
- 2 1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 1 2/3 lb Shredded Velveeta (or other American-style cheese)
- 1 1/2 t Cayenne Pepper
- 3/4 t Garlic Powder
- 3/4 T Onion Powder
- 1 t Freshly ground black pepper
- Slowly melt ½ lb of butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Whisk flour in, stirring frequently to make a blond roux.
- Slowly incorporate milk, stirring constantly until a bechamel has been achieved. Add black pepper, onion, and garlic powder.
- When sauce comes to a simmer add the shredded cheese one handful at a time, allowing it to melt into the sauce before adding more.
- Reduce heat to low then incorporate cottage cheese and sour cream in a similar fashion. When the sauce is smooth remove from heat and mount in remaining butter and cayenne pepper.
- Use elbow macaroni pasta, cook pasta to package instructions.
- Combine cooked pasta with sauce and top with a handful of Hot Cheese Puffs.