John Kanell's Wild Mushroom Bolognese with Hand-Cut Pappardelle
- 1 cup (120g) All-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cups (167g) semolina flour (can substitute with all-purpose)
- 3 Units Large eggs
- 1 Tbs Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp Kosher salt, plus more for cooking the pasta
- 4 Slices Thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 Tbs Extra-virgin olive oil Plus more if needed
- 2 Cups (110g) diced yellow onion
- 2 cups (250g) peeled and diced carrot
- 2 tbs Kosher salt
- 1 Tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 12 Oz (338g) portobello mushrooms gills removed and diced
- 8 Oz (225g) cremini or oyster mushrooms Diced
- 2 Tbs Minced fresh garlic From about 6 cloves
- 2 (4.5-oz/128g) Tomato paste
- 1 Cup (240ml) dry red wine (240ml) Such as Chianti
- 1 Cup (240ml)Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 Cup (80ml) heavy cream
- Grated parmesan cheese For serving
- Chopped fresh parsley
MAKE THE HOMEMADE PAPPARDELLE:
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, semolina flour, and salt. Make a deep
well in the center.
• Crack the eggs and add the olive oil into the well. Using a fork, start in the center and beat just
the eggs and olive oil together. Slowly work your way to the edges of the well and begin
incorporating the flour.
• Once most of the flour is incorporated and becomes too heavy to work with the fork, begin
kneading the dough by hand until a cohesive dough forms.
• Transfer the dough to a lightly floured counter. Continue kneading by hand, adding more flour
as needed to keep it from sticking to you or the counter, until the dough is smooth and elastic,
5 to 10 minutes. (The dough should bounce back when poked with your finger.)
• Wrap the dough tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 30
minutes or up to 4 hours.
MAKE THE MUSHROOM BOLOGNESE:
• In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add the bacon, if using, and olive oil and cook,
stirring occasionally until the bacon is browned and crisp.
• Add the onions, carrots, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and ½ teaspoon of the pepper and cook,
stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, 8 to 10 minutes. (You may add
another tablespoon or two of oil if not using the bacon.)
• Add the mushrooms, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1 teaspoon of the pepper.
• Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid and start to brown, about 5
• Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the mushrooms.
• Cook, stirring constantly, until the tomato paste is fragrant