Jeremy Ford's Fried Fish Filet Sandwich
15 minsPrep Time
5 minsCook Time
20 minsTotal Time
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (12 oz.) cod filet
- Canola oil for frying
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 yellow American cheese slices
- 4 potato hamburger rolls
- Stir together mayonnaise, relish, capers, lemon juice & zest in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Pulse panko in a small food processor until finely ground, about 15 pulses. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Whisk together eggs and 1 tablespoon water in a separate shallow bowl.
- Cut cod into 4 portions (about 3- x 3-inches and 1/2-inch thick). Dip each portion into egg mixture, let excess drip off, and then dredge in ground panko. Repeat with remaining portions.
- Heat 1-inch of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high until oil reaches 300°F. Fry fish until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, and sprinkle with salt. To serve, place 1/2 of a cheese slice on bottom on each bun, and top with a piece of fish. Spread 1 tablespoon of tartar sauce on each piece of fish; cover with top bun.