Haylie Duff's Quiche
For the Mushroom Quiche (Pie):
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb assorted oyster mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- ½ lb small white button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced in quarters
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 cup Gruyere, shredded
- 3 cups half and half
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
For the Herb Salad:
- 1 cup baby arugula
- ½ cup parsley, leaves only
- ½ cup basil, leaves only
- ¼ chives, cut in 2 inch pieces
- ¼ cup tarragon, leaves only
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- Juice of half a lemon
- In a large skillet, on medium high heat add oil. When oil is hot add mushrooms and sauté until all liquid is evaporated, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add another tablespoon of oil, add shallots, potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes or until mushrooms and shallots are tender. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs, half and half, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper. With a hand immersion blender, blend mixture until frothy foam forms on top.
- In a blind baked pie crust, add ½ cup of cheese, half mushroom mixture.
- Pour in half of egg mixture. Skim frothy foam on top of mushroom mixture, this helps prevent mushrooms from floating to the top of the quiche. Repeat with remaining cheese, mushrooms and egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 1 ½ hours, just until egg sets. Middle should be a bit jiggley. Let cool in pan.
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients for herb salad and toss.
- To serve, with a serrated knife cut a slice of pie and top with some herb salad. Serve.