Haile Thomas' Chickpea of the Sea Sandwich
As part of Drew's Cookbook Club, Chef Haile Thomas shares a special recipe from her cookbook Living Lively!
- 4 1/2 drained canned chickpeas
- 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp dulse flakes
- 1/2-1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup diced radishes
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- your favorite bread toasted
In a food processor, combine 4 cups of the chickpeas, dulse, lemon zest, pepper, salt, paprika, and 2 tablespoons of the mayo. Pulse 3 to 5 times, until the chickpea mixture is mostly pasty and slightly chunky. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Transfer the pulsed chickpea mix to a large bowl and add the remaining 1/2 cup mayo, the parsley, radishes, and red onion and mix well to combine.
Spread 3/4 to 1 cup of the chickpea mixture on each sandwich. If desired, top the sandwiches with the veg of your choice! Pack it for lunch or enjoy at home!