Geoffrey Zakarian and Family's Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
10 minsPrep Time
40 minsCook Time
50 minsTotal Time
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 1 tbsp Madras curry powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large soup or stockpot over medium heat. Add the squash, onion, apples, and curry powder and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, stirring well to combine. Add the broth, bring to a simmer, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until squash is very tender. Let cool for a few minutes.
- With an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot until smooth. Alternatively, carefully puree in batches in a regular blender. Stir in the half-in-half.
- Reheat soup gently if necessary and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts and serve.
Geoffrey Zakarian and his daughters, Madeline (13) and Anna (11) share a family recipe from the girls’ first cookbook “The Family that Cooks Together."