Eitan Bernath's Giant Cinnamon Bun Cake
2 hrs 30 minsPrep Time
45 minsCook Time
3 hrs 15 minsTotal Time
- 1 cup whole milk, warm
- 1 packet yeast (1/4 oz)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick butter
- 1.5 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the milk and yeast. Set aside and allow to rest for about 5 minutes, until bubbles form.
- Add the sugar, salt, eggs, butter and half the flour. Using the dough hook attachment, mix the ingredients until they start to come together. Add the remaining flour, a little at a time, and knead on a slow speed until it comes together into a ball of dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand until very smooth, about 5-7 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl, add the dough upside down and turn to have oiled side up. Cover with a towel and set aside in a warm place for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl combine the dark brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll out the dough to a 24x12 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Slather the stick of butter all over the top of the dough then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar and spread to cover the entire dough.
- Cut the dough into three long strips with even thickness. Roll each strip of dough from the longer side to the other. Place one of the rolls into the center of a a greased 8 inch cast iron skillet. Roll the next strip of dough around the bun in the center. Repeat with the third strip of dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise again for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush the top of the cinnamon buns with a beaten egg. Bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. If the top of the cinnamon bun starts to get too dark, cover lightly with tin foil until done baking.
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until fully combined. Pour the glaze over the cinnamon rolls. Serve warm.