Drew's Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas
- 3-4 lb pork shoulder, cut into 2 ½-inch pieces
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 lb tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1 large white onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, plus more to garnish
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1 cup beer (substitute with water or beer)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Warm corn tortillas
- Sliced jalapeño
- Sour cream
Dry pork well with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper, cumin and oregano. Set aside at room temperature.
In a blender, add tomatillos, onion, garlic, poblano peppers, cilantro, lime and beer. Season with salt and pepper.
To a slow cooker, add seasoned pork and blended tomatillo salsa and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low. When ready to serve, shred pork with forks and serve on warmed tortillas. Top with desired garnish such as jalapeños, cilantro, lime, sour cream and onion.