Drew's Chickpea Pasta with Cherry Tomato Sauce!
Drew shares a personal healthy and easy protein-packed chickpea pasta recipe.
- 16 oz dry chickpea spaghetti (*6 oz yields 1-2 servings)
- A generous amount of salt and oil for pasta water
- 1/4 cup olive oil to taste (*2 tablespoons yields 1-2 servings)
- 5 cloves garlic grated or thinly sliced (*2 cloves yields 1-2 servings)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes plus more for garnish (*1/4 teaspoon yields 1-2 servings)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (optional) (*1/3 tablespoon yields 1-2 servings)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (optional) (*1/3 tablespoon yields 1-2 servings)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (*1 tablespoon yields 1-2 servings)
- 2-3 tablespoons Harissa paste (depending on how spicy you like it!) (*1 tablespoon yields 1-2 servings)
- 1/2 cup chopped basil plus more for garnish (*1/4 cup yields 1-2 servings)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (*1/3 tablespoon yields 1-2 servings)
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes cut into halves (*1 pint yields 1-2 servings)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and olive oil. Drop in the spaghetti and gently stir so the pasta doesn’t stick together. Cook about 7 minutes, until al dente.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan, then stir in the garlic, chili flakes and onion powder. Cook on medium-low heat for about 1 minute, stirring until garlic becomes fragrant – about 1 minute.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes and dried herbs (optional), a pinch of salt and pepper, then simmer until tomatoes break down a bit – about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and Harissa paste. Simmer for one more minute, then add the chopped basil.
4. Strain the pasta, rinse with cold water, then gently toss with the tomato sauce. Garnish with a bit more olive oil and a generous sprinkle of basil.
Yields 4-6 servings.