Drew's California Tartine
- 2 slices of your favorite sandwich bread
- Cream cheese
- Thinly sliced tomato
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Shredded carrots
- Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Dill or chives, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the toast. Toast the bread lightly. Let cool.
- Assemble the tartine. Spread a schmear of cream cheese on the toast. Layer on the toppings, seasoning with squeezes of lemon, or some dill and chives as you go. We recommend this order: tomato, romaine, carrots, cucumbers, avocado, red onion and alfalfa sprouts. Squeeze a little lemon juice, top with more herbs, and season with salt and pepper.
Quick tip: We like to put our red onion slices in a small bowl of ice water for 5 minutes. This takes off a little bit of the bite, and makes them super crisp and crunchy. Drain and pat dry before using.
This open-faced sandwich takes only a handful of minutes to make and is one of Drew's favorite things to throw together for an easy breakfast, or a snack. Drew loves to keep this one vegan and gluten-free, but feel free to substitute in your favorite toast or regular cream cheese. It's really quite flexible—just layers of fresh, crunchy vegetables—and you can choose to season it however you like! It's like a little bit of sunshine on a piece of toast.