Danny Seo's Breakfast Poke Bowl
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon matcha
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cups strawberries, destemmed and cut into rounds
- 2-inch piece ginger, juiced (approximately 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons teaspoons black sesame seeds
- Add rice, 2 ½ cups of the almond milk and pinch of salt to a small pot. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce flame, cover pot and cook rice for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend or thoroughly whisk together the remaining ½ cup almond milk with the matcha and maple syrup, and fold into cooked rice. Rice can be served hot, at room temperature, or chilled.
- Peel and grate ginger on the large setting of a box grater and squeeze between hands or through cheesecloth to extract juice. Discard ginger pulp.
- Gently toss cut strawberries with ginger juice. Allow mixture to marinate for a few minutes.
- Toast sesame seeds by placing in a small pan and warming over low heat for 1 minute, or until seeds becoming fragrant.
- Place rice into bowls and top with ginger macerated strawberries and toasted black sesame seeds.
Don’t skip the step with the fresh ginger and strawberries. It may not look like an important part of the recipe, but it’s vital. Something magical happens when the acidity of ginger hits the fresh strawberries; it brightens the flavor and makes them extra juicy in this poke bowl. This is also an easy recipe to double, triple---heck—quadruple if you want to.