Chef Roshara's "Don’t Be a Jerk” Jerk Crab Cake Sandwich
1 hrPrep Time
5 minsCook Time
1 hr 5 minsTotal Time
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound fresh Jumbo lump crab meat
- 2/3 cup Ritz or Saltine cracker crumbs (about 14 crackers)
- 2 tablespoon Jerk Marinade (see below)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Panko for outside Crust (have extra panko to coat crab cake ask chef for details)
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (add more to adjust desired spice)
- ½ large red onion or 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 5 stalks of scallion
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 7 sprigs fresh thyme
- Squeeze lime
- Toasted Hawaiian roll (but any bread will do! Chef Ro likes the Hawaiian Roll because the sweetness balances with the Jerk in both the crab cake and mayo)
- 2 slices red onion
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 bibb lettuce leaf
- 1/2 cup Jerk Marinade
- 1/2 cup Heinz Mayo
- Whisk the egg, parsley, jerk marinade, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Place the crab meat on top, followed by the cracker crumbs. With a rubber spatula or large spoon, very gently and carefully fold together. You don’t want to break up that crab meat! On a sheet pan place excess panko. Lightly tap formed cake on panko sheet pan and hold until service. (Use Mayo Top or Ring Mold to shape crab cake). Make sure there is panko on both sides of the crab cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before pan frying.
- Generously add cooking oil to pan and fry crab cakes until golden brown on both sides.
- Place on paper towel to drain off extra grease if needed.
- Mix all jerk marinade ingredients in a blender.
- In a mixing bowl with pre-placed grab meat, add egg, parsley, pre-made jerk marinade, lemon juice, ritz cracker crumbs, salt and pepper and fold together with a rubber spatula.
- Place oil on heated pan. Then take pre-frigerated crab cake from panko covered sheet pan and place in pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Add mayo to pre-toasted Hawaiian roll. Add condiments (lettuce, tomato, onion) and crab cake. Taste!