Chef Giada De Laurentiis'S Cacio E Pepe with Pancetta and Arugula
5 minsPrep Time
30 minsCook Time
35 minsTotal Time
- 1 pound creste del gallo pasta or other curved pasta shape
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 pound pancetta, diced
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 3 cups packed baby arugula, roughly chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta for 8 minutes (or just 2 minutes under the suggested cooking time).
- Drain well, reserving 1½ cups of pasta water. Meanwhile, heat a large straight sided skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and pancetta. Cook stirring often with a wooden spoon until the pancetta is crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pepper and toast, stirring often, until fragrant. Add 1/2 cup of pasta water to the pan and scrape up all the bits that are sticking to the bottom. Add the pasta and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Add another 1/2 cup pasta water and stir to coat all of the pasta in the cheese. Add the pecorino and the butter and stir to combine, creating a light creamy cheese sauce.
- Add the arugula and cook until wilted. Add additional pasta water as needed to maintain the light sauce consistency. Serve with more grated cheese if desired.