Chef Anne Burrell's Chicken Paillard with Watermelon and Cucumbers with Arugula and Feta
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- Kosher Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup diced watermelon, 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup peeled cucumber, 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 2 tsp honey
- 8-10 mint leaves, cut into a chiffonade (ribbons)
- 2 tbsp coarsest chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup baby washed arugula
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place one hand on the top, flat side of one chicken breast. Give it a firm, even pressure. Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken breast ALMOST completely in half so it opens like a book. Wide and flat!! Repeat with the other chicken breast. Lay both chicken breasts out open and flat. Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and bang both breasts with the bottom of a meat mallet or small sauté pan. Hint*- the chicken breasts are ALREADY tender- we are just beating them a little bit to flatten and even out the chicken so it will cook quickly and evenly. No need to beat the crap out of them!! Season with salt and granulated garlic. Reserve.
- Coat a medium sized sauté pan liberally with olive oil and bring to a medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, place one chicken breast in the pan and cook it for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is just cooked through. This is a really quick cook- we don’t want the chicken to get dry. Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve on a clean tray. You can place the cooked chicken breast in a 200 degree oven to keep it warm while you cook the remaining chicken breast.
- In a large bowl combine the watermelon, cucumber and red onion. In a small bowl on the side combine the lime zest and juice, honey and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt. Dress the watermelon/cucumber mixture with the lime honey vinaigrette. Toss in the herbs and arugula. Taste to see if the seasoning is delicious. Add a pinch more salt if needed.
Place the chicken breasts on plates, top with with watermelon cucumber salad and give a sprinkle of feta cheese.
Viola!!!! Summer on a plate!!