Bab's Bacon, Gruyere and Veggie Frittata
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, sliced ½-inch thick
- 5 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced ½-inch thick
- 2 leeks, whites and light green parts only, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream (substitute with Greek full fat yogurt or almond milk)
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large, 12-inch cast iron or oven-safe, nonstick skillet, add olive oil and bacon and cook over medium until crisp and the fat has rendered out. Use a slotted spoon and remove cooked bacon to a plate, set aside. Add mushrooms and leeks to the hot bacon grease, and cook over medium-high until browned, about 8 minutes. Add spinach and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add reserved bacon, garlic, thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk to combine eggs and heavy cream. Add half the cheese and stir to combine. Lower heat to medium-low and add egg mixture to the pan. Let set for a few minutes, channeling the eggs down the center with an oven-proof spatula and draining the eggs gently around the edge of the pan for a few minutes. When the bottom of the frittata has set, sprinkle more cheese on top. Transfer to preheated oven for around 10 minutes until set and a knife comes out clean.
Note: substitute with 3 cups of any combination of sautéed vegetables!