Anne Burrell's Chicken Milanese with Corn Tomato Salad
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup flour
- Egg wash: 2 eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 heaping cup of Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
For the corn salad:
- 1 ear of corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 beefsteak tomato, seeds and gel removed and reserved, meat of the tomato cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8 basil leaves, cut into 1/4 inch ribbons
- 1 cup baby washed arugula
- 2 tbsp roasted and salted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
For the chicken:
- Place 1 chicken breast on a cutting board and place your hand firmly on top of the chicken breast. Keeping your knife parallel to the cutting board, cut the chicken breast in half so you wind up with 2 thin, even chicken breast slices. Place plastic wrap on top of the chicken and pound them gently with the bottom of a small saute pan. The point of this is not to tenderize the chicken (it is already tender), the point is to flatten and even out the chicken so it will cook evenly. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken breast.
*Please keep in mind that anything that touches raw chicken needs to be washed before doing anything else. ESPECIALLY your hands!
- Set up the standard breading procedure - Using 3 wide flat containers:
- Place the flour in the first container.
- Place the eggs and water in the second container and beat together with a fork until it becomes a smooth, homogeneous consistency.
- Place the breadcrumbs and the grated Parm in the third container, swish around with your fingers to combine.
- To bread the chicken:
- Season the chicken on both sides generously with salt. Place the first piece of chicken in the flour, roll it around to coat the chicken on both sides and shake off any excess flour.
- Next, place the chicken in the egg wash and coat it generously on both sides. Then place the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture. Really PACK the crumbs on there!!
- Reserve the breaded chicken on a sheet tray and repeat the process with the remaining chicken.
- Clean up the breading procedure. Wash your hands and your counter.
Build the salad:
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, and stir to combine.
- Taste it to make sure it's delicious! In a measuring cup, combine tomato seeds and gel, red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt.
- Dress the salad and toss to combine.
Cook the chicken:
- Add oil to a large saute pan and bring to a medium high heat. When the oil is hot and two pieces of chicken to the pan. Be sure not to crowd the pan, the chicken needs room to swim so it will get brown and crispy! A crowded pan will result in steamy, mushy greasy chicken... that would be sad! If the oil gets too hot just turn down the burner a little bit.
- Cook the chicken until it's brown and crispy on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from the oil and blot on paper towels and give a sprinkey dink of salt. repeat this process with the remaining chicken.
*You can keep the chicken warm in a 200 degree oven while you finish the other chicken.
- Arrange ½ cup of arugula on each serving plate. Place 1-2 pieces on top of the arugula, slightly overlapping.
- Stir the basil into the corn salad, taste one more time to make sure it is delicious. Reseason if needed. Spoon the corn salad over the chicken breasts. Make sure you get all of the vinaigrette too-it's really yummy!!! Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds if using.
Eat it and call yourself a ROCKSTAR!!!!